If you have leadership qualities and interested in motivating, leading others, and have a dream to live well-settled life, then a career in operation management might be perfect for you. It is a career option that offers huge scope in the job market as well as offers endless job opportunities in different sectors.
To make a successful career in this field, let’s get started with essential information:
Education and training required:
There are many different sectors and industries like IT, ITES, KPO, Domain specific (Insurance, Healthcare, etc.) & Finance/Banking which may consider operations manager based on a mix of experience & qualification. So, educational qualification requirement depends on the industry you want to work with. A bachelor or master degree in business administration or related field is necessary to get operations manager job in any reputed firm.
Skills you will need to succeed:
So now what? You’ve seen that you can give it a great shot in terms of your qualifications and experience, but what about your key skills and attributes? Here’s what you’ll need to succeed in the role?
- Management Skills: As an operation manager, you should have a good idea about how to manage people or to meet company goals.
- Communication skills: As, you need to manage a large team in future, so you must have good communication skill to deal with people.
- IT skills: Make sure that you keep yourself up to date with the latest IT news and technologies to work well in the IT industry.
- Problem: solving skill: Start thinking out of the box to find a quick solution of some of the complex problems. Additionally, critical thinking, time-management, judgment, and monitoring skills are also necessary.
What are the key responsibilities of an operation manager?
- Performing inventory control and distribution
- Managing the movement of goods into and out of production (logistics)
- Forecasting future demand for product or service
- Implementing and managing quality assurance programs
- Designing and implementing the processes by which goods are produced or services are provided
- Implementing and managing quality assurance measures
- Creating an efficient layout for storage and production facilities
Different career paths:
One can start his/her career as a junior assistant in order to take deep knowledge or experience of managerial position. After gaining a few years of experience, you can advance your career in related fields such as:
- Facilities Coordinator
- Purchasing Manager
- Logistics Analyst
- Process Engineer
- Transportation Manager
- Customer Service Manager
- Operations Analyst
Average salary an operation manager can earn:
The salary you can earn is completely depends on various factors such as: Company location, industry type, qualification, experience, knowledge, skills and others. But according to payscale an average salary is around Rs. 291,854 per year. You can check average salary according to different cities on payscale and Glassdoor.
Complete your education or training first to get entered into this field. After completion of education and training, prepare yourself for the interview to beat the competition. Start searching and applying to get a job fast.